Thursday, September 29, 2011

Cooking Adventure

I love to cook and I love cooking gadgets and appliances

My colossal failures and successes  in recipe testing and testing cooking gadgets will be the subjects of my posting - the first appliance that I want to blog about is the broiler in your kitchen stove.

I have had many colossal failures with the evil broiler - ruined steak - grey, chewy and not "broiled "

The last ruined steak sat in the greasy broiler pan - no crusty sear - grey in color and very tough ! The house filled with smoke. The broiler pan - we all use it ? Well, I went out and looked at my gas grill - get a nice sear on that grill - no broiler pan - meat sits on rack over flame.

So - I tried a roasting pan with a wire rack placed on top of it - preheated the broiler- moved the oven rack down one level - meat was now closer to heat and rack allows liquid to drain away - meat is seared - looks good. 

Cooking the steak evenly was another struggle - cooking the meat right from the refrigerator let the outside char and the inside too rare. Letting the steak sit at room temperature helps.  Putting the refrigerated steak in a 350 oven for 5-10 min to take the chill off helps.

But - wow - all smoke detectors still going off ! I tried adding water to pan - but that steamed the meat. Tried covering pan with flour - big burned mess !Tried salt covering bottom of pan - better - soaked up grease - no smoke detectors going off !

Best seared steak in Broiler

Get chill off meat.

Use kitchen towel to dry meat - press moisture out - meat will not brown if full of water.

Roasting pan with wire rack - needs to be 1 inch from broiler. 2 cups salt in bottom

Preheat broiler.

Prep steaks - salt,pepper,steak seasoning.

Place pan within 1 inch of broiler - flip steaks halfway through cooking time.

1 inch - turn every 2 min

1.5 inch - turn every 3 min

2 inch - turn every 4 min

Use a meat thermometer to - 125 to 130 degrees

I like to remove from broiler - top with softened butter (add a close of pressed garlic if you wish to butter) and let rest 10 min before serving.




Serve with my daughters favorite french fries !

I like to use russet or Idaho potatoes - peel - hand cut into long slices - I like a larger " steak house " size.

Use a heavy 5 qt pan to heat cooking oil - I use canola oil -a oil thermometer is best to control temperature - 350 degrees is best for frying - while oil is heating rinse potato's under cold water to get rid of excess starch - add potatoes to hot oil a few at a time to keep oil from foaming up - fry until lightly browned - remove from oil with slotted spoon - put potatoes in a paper bag, add salt to taste and shake bag to remove excess oil.

Enjoy !

October is almost here - my fall cooking adventure is the pursuit of the perfect apple pie - so far not perfect !

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm. Those are my favorite french fries! Please invite me over for apple pie time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make the best steaks!!! nom, nom, nom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fans are demanding PIE! I may have to bring over apples tonight to encourage this situation. :)

    ReplyDelete